Right now, making it’s way through the Iowa State House is a horrible bill – Senate File (SF) 2311 (formerly SSB 3093). The bill has passed out of committees in both houses and was passed out of the full senate. The bill is now awaiting debate in the full house. This bill has sweeping changes that decimates energy efficiency programs, potentially losing over 80% of the current funds, it essentially deregulates utilities in Iowa, leaving all utility customers vulnerable to soaring prices and the whims of the utility companies, and it makes it easier for gas pipelines to be built in Iowa.
- Effectively deregulate Iowa’s energy utilities;
- Slash energy efficiency programs, potentially by up to 80% or more;
- Make it easier for gas pipelines to build in Iowa.
- And though the bad solar provisions were removed, there is still an effort to put them back into the bill which if added back in, could essentially kill rooftop and community solar by allowing utility companies to discriminate against solar customers.
- Call or email your State Representative! (click here to find their contact info)
- Attend a legislative coffee and demand your elected officials oppose this bill (click here for a list of legislative coffees)
- Make calls to fellow 1000 friends members to get more people taking action (click here to sign up)
Talking points for the overall bill: Click here.
Energy Efficiency Fact Sheet: Click here.
Another bad bill that is now making it’s way through the senate is SSB 3078. This bill proposes to eliminate all energy efficiency programs. It is on the Ways and Means subcommittee schedule for Monday, March 19 at 3:00 p.m. The subcommittee is made up of Senator Fenestra, Senator Hogg, and Senator R.Schmidt. Please contact all three of them and ask them to oppose SSB 3078. Click here to find their contact info.