1000 Friends of Iowa is looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated and detail-oriented individual to fulfill the role of executive director. The executive director serves as the primary spokesperson for 1000 Friends of Iowa and cultivates audiences to support and promote the mission and vision of the organization. We seek someone quick-witted and politically savvy, with an ability to find common ground among individuals who may not share basic political beliefs. This person will run the day-to-day inner workings of a small non-profit including: overseeing financial and fundraising activities, conducting outreach and education programming, and collaborating with others to address local, regional and state-wide land use priorities.
Basic Qualifications Include:
- Academic degree and experiences totaling a minimum of 5 years; including experience in land use, conservation, or environmental arenas in advocacy or related for-profit ventures.
- Commitment to smart planning principles, land use reform and economic sustainability.
- Experience in organizational management and behavior, preferably with non-profit organizations.
- Proven communication skills (including written and in-person) and ability to connect with diverse audiences including donors, board members, employees, volunteers, outside partners and political leaders. Preferred candidate has a teaching perspective and possesses a joy of learning from and educating others.
- Successful experience with organizational fundraising, grant writing, financial management and budgeting.
- Familiarity with and experience using common software: word processor, spreadsheets and databases, presentation and financial packages.
- Preferred candidate has experience writing and editing newsletter articles and laying out publications including brochures, newsletters, storyboards, electronic messages, web pages, and other materials offered to the public
The ideal candidate will be comfortable working alone and making decisions about programs or initiatives independently with infrequent oversight and limited collaboration. The candidate will understand the nature of nonprofit work, fundraising and leading in a nonprofit environment. The candidate will have opportunities to engage Iowans, meet diverse stakeholders involved in land use issues and raise awareness of responsible land use in Iowa. While the work can be lonely, the right person could build a quality team to collaborate in advancing the organization’s mission. The executive director reports to the board of directors at quarterly board meetings, and by email between meetings.
- Flexible work schedule
- Health/dental insurance
- Competitive PTO
Applications will be accepted through February 16, 2015. No phone calls, please.
Please submit cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to:
1000 Friends of Iowa
3850 Merle Hay Road, Suite 605
Des Moines, IA 50310