1000 Friends of Iowa established the Best Development Awards in 2001. The awards showcase development projects and programs in Iowa that best reflect the principles of smart growth, sustainability, and uphold the mission of 1000 Friends of Iowa.
They also recognize the efforts of businesses, developers, cities, organizations, and individuals responsible for these projects in 12 categories:
- New Civic
- Renovated Civic
- New Commercial
- Renovated Commercial
- Innovative Leadership
- Mixed Use
- Renewable Energy
- New Residential
- Renovated Residential
- Stormwater Management
- Transportation/Complete Streets
- Urban Placemaking/Green Spaces
The 2018 Best Development Awards nominations will open in early September.
The winners of the Best Development Awards are models of how responsible development practices provide benefits to the community, the environment, and the quality of life for future generations. The program is designed to bring attention to cities, companies, non-profit organizations and individuals who demonstrate how responsible development and planning practices provide benefits to the community, the environment and the quality of future generations.
The very best projects show collaboration between public and private sectors to build, repurpose or preserve our infrastructure. These buildings and projects provide sustainability to our state by considering site placement, design, water efficiency, energy management, the materials and resources used, the indoor environmental quality, and public use and benefit.
Don’t miss the feature story on the 2015 Best Development Award winners that appeared in the July/August issue of the Iowan Magazine. Thank you to our members for your ongoing support!
Learn about previous recipients of the Best Development Awards:
- 2017 Best Development Award Recipients
- New Residential: Parkside Development
- Renovated Commercial: SingleSpeed Brewing Co.
- Innovative Leadership: City of Clive
- Stormwater Management: 14th St. Parking Lot
- Mixed Use: The Wilkins Building
- Placemaking: Albert Kruger, Sr. Shelter House
- Jurors’ Choice: City of Dubuque
- Renovated Residential: The Kibbey Building
- Transportation: Park to Park Trail
- Renewable Energy: St. John the Apostle Catholic Church + Red Lion Renewables
- Renovated Civic: Sioux City Promenade
- 2016 Best Development Awards
- 2015 Best Development Awards
- 2014 Best Development Awards Recipients
- 2013 Best Development Awards Recipients
- 2012 Best Development Awards Recipients
- 2011 Best Development Awards Recipients
- 2010 Best Development Awards Recipients
- 2009 Best Development Awards Recipients
- 2008 Best Development Award Recipients
- 2007 Best Development Award Recipients
- 2006 Best Development Award Recipients
- 2005 Best Development Award Recipients