For over 18 years, 1000 Friends of Iowa has been working to address land use issues in Iowa. One of the first tactics our early founders used to draw attention to land use issues across the state was by putting up Farm-a-Save signs along well traveled roads.
18 years later, the familiar signs are still letting motorists know that there is a better way! Recently, the signs that are on the south side of Interstate 80 near Earlham got an upgrade with new signs.
Co-founder LaVon Griffieon has recently re-painted and created fresh signs that are ready to go to their new homes!
If you are interested in hosting a set of Farm-a-Save signs, here is what you need to know:
- Pick a strip of land along a well-traveled roadway, or empty store front windows.
- In order to ensure passerby’s can read the signs, the signs should be spaced 90 feet apart with a total length of 360 feet.
- Choose the set of signs you want, based on what is relevant for your area
- To the earth/make amends/park your car/bike with friends
- These old buildings/Still got magic/their destruction/would be tragic
- Urban sprawl/ain’t too pretty/save our farms/build in the city
- Urban growth/on rural ground/how ‘bout raising/hogs downtown
- Wal-marts and roads/Sprout up like weeds/and our tax dollars/are the seeds
- Keep our mainstreets/strong and healthy/when we buy local/our towns stay wealthy
- These lovely hills/unique beyond measure/time is a ticking/to save such a treasure
- You can pick up the signs or we can deliver to you.
- Once installed, keep the area mowed or free of weeds, shrubs, etc that will block the view of the signs.
- Take pictures and send them to us! We’ll let others know where they can see the signs at!
For more information or to get your get of signs contact us at email@example.com or call 515-288-5364.